Home       About Me       Review Archive

Thursday, July 21, 2011

Review: Hush, Hush (Hush, Hush #1) by Becca Fitzpatrick

Publisher: Simon and Schuster
Published: October 13, 2009
Pages: 391
Source: Won from Simon and Schuster Canada (Thank you!)
Rating: 3 Stars - I Liked It


For Nora Grey, romance was not part of the plan. She's never been particularly attracted to the boys at her school, no matter how much her best friend, Vee, pushes them at her...until Patch comes along. 
With his easy smile and eyes that seem to see inside her, Nora is drawn to him against her better judgment, but after a series of terrifying encounters, Nora's not sure whom to trust. Patch seems to be everywhere she is, and to know more about her than her closest friends. She can't decide whether she should fall into his arms or run and hide. And when she tries to seek some answers, she finds herself near a truth that is far more unsettling than anything Patch makes her feel. 
For Nora is right in the middle of an ancient battle between the immortal and those that have fallen - and when it comes to choosing sides, the wrong choice will cost her life.

In short: Though Hush, Hush by Becca Fitzpatrick has a cliched plot and romance, it also has an addicting quality that compels you to read on.
So a boy and a girl meet in Biology class and the boy proceeds to stalk said girl. The girl is taken with the boy but cannot help but notice that something is not quite normal with him and does some research online. Turns out he is a paranormal being! Where have I read this plot before?

So yeah, my main beef with this book was that it was just a little too reminiscent of Twilight for my liking. One might argue that most paranormal romances follow a similar formula but I thought Hush, Hush had numerous plot points that were just uncanny in their similarity to Twilight. The dynamic of the developing romance between Nora and Patch was thankfully much different than Bella and Edward's though.

That said, while I was happy that there was a sufficient difference in the dynamic of their romance, I have to say Nora and Patch's particular brand of romance really didn't appeal to me. You see, Nora is frightened of Patch, but "that fright was equal part allure." Hmm. It's just not my thing. I don't find anything alluring about being flat out stalked by a guy and feeling frightened for my life. I think there was a time when I used to be much more tolerant of bad boy-good girl relationships but I find now that I'm, at the very least, annoyed by them, and at the very most, angry by them.

I was slightly more amused by the dynamic of Nora with best friend Vee. Their dialogue together was a constant source of hilarity. Even still, many of their shenanigans in Hush, Hush were outright silly. Their attempts at interrogation and sleuthing to solve a murder mystery were ridiculous and juvenile. And for an honours student, Nora makes some pretty stupid and questionable decisions. Her character was bordering on TSTL territory.

All these faults set aside, I cannot deny that Hush, Hush was an addictive read. At the same time that I was finding the romance and characters frustrating and annoying, I was compelled by some unknown force to keep reading and keep reading quickly. I might put this down to the simplicity of a well known plot and the state of mindlessness and ease that I achieved while reading it. Hush, Hush may have been cliched but it was an easy read and I could not help but be entertained throughout the majority of it.

Other Reviews:
365 Days of Reading
Alison Can Read
Just Another Story

Stalk the author (not for serious):
Website
Blog
Twitter
Goodreads
Fansite

*Read as part of the YA Series Challenge

31 comments :

  1. Haha, first comment :p

    I absolutely agree with you on this one! I gave it three stars as well, and while I felt like some aspects of Hush, Hush were typical, I couldn't put it down! There was just something about this one that had me turning the pages throughout the night. Maybe it was Patch :p I'm intrigued by the idea of the Nephlim race and fallen angels though. Thanks for the honest review Aylee!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lol I felt exactly the same. It annoyed me sooooo much but I liked the background story of it. Read the next book though. It's sorta better and the main story comes out so much more.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I unfortunately hated this book, for the same reasons you pointed - that it's sort of cliche and naive and all that. It also did remind me too much of Twilight and the whole Biology scene thing, so it turned me off even more!

    I also did NOT like Patch. I didn't see the basis for their "love" or relationship either, so I didn't find myself rooting for them. Ahh oh well. I'm glad others find it a lot better than I did though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I so agree! I'm not a big fan of Patch and Nora either, but I strangely find this book quite unputdownable.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's funny, I read this one before I started the blog and loved it, but I think if I read it again now, there would definitely be some things with Nora and Patch's relationship that would bother me. I had a lot of trouble with them in Crescendo, but just as you said, it's still an addicting read:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. *sigh*
    I still refuse to read this one. It just doesn't sound like something I would like.

    Patch just doesn't appeal to me in any way.

    Still, I'm intrigued by the addictive quality ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Haha Jenny said it perfectly. I loved this one the first time around.
    You might want to brace yourself for the second one though, it annoyed me to no end but by the time I finished I was hooked. Again.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I definitely agree about Hush Hush being addicting! I had troubles putting it down! I mean, yeah, the relationship between Nora and Patch was a little sketchy, but I totally bought it. Haha.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I actually liked Hush, Hush, but Crescendo made me want to pull my hair out.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I couldn't agree more Aylee. Yes, there was a time that the bad boy-good girl thing in YA worked for me, but now that some of it has become completely redonkulous, I find that I can no longer support it. Such is the case with hush, hush.

    And yes, I can't deny that hush, hush has an addictive quality to it that I find annoying to no end because I'm not immune.

    P.S. If you think Nora is TSTL now, just wait till you read book 2!

    ReplyDelete
  11. T.B.: Glad you felt the same way! I did really like the angel lore as well. It was one of the few aspects that I thought was well done.

    Steph: I do plan on reading the next one. And even though I've heard from some people that the characters are even more annoying, I have a feeling I'll still be strangely into it.

    Jillian: I strongly disliked Patch too. I think perhaps a more immature me might've been more tolerant with the dynamic of their relationship but the me now just couldn't get on board with it. It was just not right how she was so terrified of him but attracted to him at the same time. Bleh.

    Chel: Yeah, I was surprised how unputdownable it was despite me being so annoyed by the characters. It's perhaps comparable to an addicting reality tv show in its mindlessness.

    Jenny: I could see myself thinking the same way about this one if I had been younger and not had a blog yet. Less critical. But overtime I've come to realize that bad boys are unrealistic and silly concepts. I'm really not into it.

    Alex: Heh, yeah, now that I've read the first one I think I'll read the 2nd and 3rd but I can't say I recommend this book to everyone. Patch absolutely doesn't appeal to me at all.

    Laura: Heh, your experience with the second one sounds like my experience with the first. I'll be frustrated while reading and yet, somehow unable to stop.

    Lauren: Yeah, if only I could've bought their relationship, I would've enjoyed this one a lot more. But because I couldn't, I was just hella annoyed.

    Christy: Well! Looking forward to that read then, haha.

    Missie: Redonkulous, indeed. I'm very much about the good boys these days. I am also frustrated that I am not immune to it though I really feel like I should be. I am ashamed. Even now, I am strangely interested in finding out just how TSTL Nora's character becomes.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I agree that the plot and premise was a cliche, but I had a thing for Patch. It's too bad that Crescendo just ruined it for me. Great review, Aylee.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I must admit that I am partially prejudiced against this book because I can't like a guy named Patch. Seriously? Patch?!? Gross!

    I can see why you'd keep reading, but I'd probably share the issues with Nora. I like bad boys but they don't need to be creepy bad!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Melissa: Hmm, so I wonder how I'll feel about Patch after reading Crescendo if I didn't even like him in Hush, Hush.

    Logan: Ha! It is a pretty silly name. And it's part of the reason why it was hard to take his character seriously. Creepy bad is definitely very bad. I just couldn't get on board with their relationship.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I agree with you that it reminded me of Twilight, but I couldn't help but love the story. Nora really annoyed me, but I adored Patch! And yes, even though it has its faults, it is addictive! =) Great review!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Aylee! Another Potter addict here! I'm also a new follower - I would really appreciate it if you followed me back :) I've left a link to my blog at the end of this comment.

    Fantstic review. I am not sure whether to read this or not though... It does sound very similar to Twilight, but I've seen some rave reviews. Oh choices, choices. :)

    http://www.booksterreviews-cliona.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  17. Bailey: It was a very addictive read, I think everyone agrees. I have to say I found both Nora and Patch equal parts annoying though.

    Cliona: I've noticed some extremely positive reviews for it too. I can see why some people would be crazy about it. It just wasn't for me.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hush Hush is addictive. I had some issues with the plot as well. I thought the overall storyline was good although it is reminiscent of some other books.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I feel ya. I couldn't get into her romance with Patch either.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Marcie: Yeah, the storyline was good in that it's kind of a classic set-up. I guess, if it's not broke, don't fix it.

    Juju: It's not for everyone though I guess I have no problem with people who love that sort of dynamic.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I remember reading this book fairly quickly, and you said it when you mentioned the mindlessness behind reading this. I haven't picked up it's sequel yet, maybe someday. Thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love this book! I finished it really fast and is nothing like twilight.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I completely agree with you. While I didn't love Hush, Hush, something about it made me keep reading.

    I didn't really see the appeal in Patch either. While I like bad boys, I'm not a fan of those who stalk and scare the crap out of you.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Forgot to comment on this earlier. I agree that it's very Twilighty but unlike Edward, I found very little intriguing about Patch at the beginning. I thought he was a rude jerk - which for whatever reason, I never felt about Edward. And I hated ditsy Vee.
    But Hush, Hush was definitely a page turner. I was flying through the end of the book to discover what was going to happen.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I agree with you about this one. The whole time I was reading Hush, Hush, I kept thinking things were very reminiscent of Twilight and other paranormal romance type books I've read... yet I finished it very quickly! This is definitely an addictive book. Great, honest review.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Bummed to hear about all the derivative elements from a certain series-that-must-not-be-named. Guess it's a case of Don't Judge the Book by the Gorgeous Cover. I really don't enjoy books where the relationship between the protags is based on fear or unequal footings, so I think I'll be skipping this one. Thanks for the honest review!


    Smiles!
    Lori

    ReplyDelete
  27. Great review! I agree about the addictive quality of this book. It has very familiar elements to a lot of other books in the same genre, and I didn't care for the ending, but I couldn't stop reading this book.

    ReplyDelete
  28. I loved Hush, hush. I can't wait until silence comes out :D

    http://bookmigik.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  29. Sara: I don't think there's anything wrong with mindlessness while reading. I hope to get to the sequel at least before Silence is out.

    Aliraluna: Well alright, to each his own, I guess :)

    Zahida: Exactly. I just don't get how girls could find Patch appealing. And I'm a bit concerned for them if they really do like boys like that.

    Alison: Agreed. Some elements were very much like Twilight but as the romantic interest, Edward is very different from Patch. Which changes the relationship dynamic between the two series as well. I prefer Twilight's to Hush, Hush's, but they both were easy, quick, addictive reads that I got through very quickly despite not liking some elements.

    Kat: I guess if it ain't broke, don't fix it. The same method seems to work for most paranormal romances. And there's nothing wrong with that really!

    Lori: Heh, yeah I have to admit that I was most definitely drawn to the cover. I found that even though I didn't enjoy the relationship in this one, I could still sort of enjoy it for the mindlessness factor, but I wouldn't have been remiss if I had skipped it. Glad I could help you out!

    Jessica: I didn't mind the ending myself. I wasn't completely surprised by the mystery solution but I was sort of impressed how Becca Fitzpatrick brought it all together.

    Hayley: I hope I can read Crescendo before then!

    ReplyDelete
  30. I'm not sure if I want to get sucked into this one :P It sounds like I'd be crazy annoyed throughout the whole thing, but I can see myself falling victim to the addictiveness of it. I can't decide who sounds worse, Patch or Nora.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Hmm, I've not read Twilight, but I have read Die for Me. It sounds similar enough I may just pass on this one.

    Great, very readable and informative review! :-)

    ReplyDelete