Home       About Me       Review Archive

Sunday, September 14, 2014

Review: Ruin and Rising (The Grisha #3) by Leigh Bardugo

Publisher: Henry Holt and Co.
Published: June 17, 2014
Pages: 417
Source: Bought
Rating: 4.5 Stars


The capital has fallen.
The Darkling rules Ravka from his shadow throne.
Now the nation's fate rests with a broken Sun Summoner, a disgraced tracker, and the shattered remnants of a once-great magical army.
Deep in an ancient network of tunnels and caverns, a weakened Alina must submit to the dubious protection of the Apparat and the zealots who worship her as a Saint. Yet her plans lie elsewhere, with the hunt for the elusive firebird and the hope that an outlaw prince still survives.
Alina will have to forge new alliances and put aside old rivalries as she and Mal race to find the last of Morozova's amplifiers. But as she begins to unravel the Darkling's secrets, she reveals a past that will forever alter her understanding of the bond they share and the power she wields. The firebird is the one thing that stands between Ravka and destruction—and claiming it could cost Alina the very future she’s fighting for.

This review is spoiler free

In short: Ruin and Rising by Leigh Bardugo is a largely satisfying finale worthy of the series we all love.
And so yet another beloved series of mine comes to an end. It's always hard to say goodbye to a favourite series once you've come to respect and/or love the characters and enjoyed spending time in the beautifully developed fantasy world (although in this case, it seems as though we don't have to say goodbye to this world just yet - Leigh Bardugo is planning another series set in the same universe!). But thankfully the goodbye process is a bit easier when the finale delivers an ending worthy of the series you love - which Ruin and Rising largely did.

Siege and Storm left off in dire straits so it came as no surprise that Ruin and Rising was at times a very broody, dark read. Thankfully, Leigh Bardugo is an expert at weaving in humour even in the darkest of times, alleviating gloom and creating great character moments all at once. Speaking of characters, all of our previous favourites are back, and others that weren't previously favourites surprised me with their charming personalities in Ruin and Rising. The hero's journey is often a lonely one, so it was so nice to have a large cast of characters behind Alina, supporting her cause at every step and playing a critical part in protecting Ravka.

The story is well paced and yet still allows for some important character histories that we have been waiting on, and these backstories finally bring the story together. As for the finale - it was good though not quite as grand and breathtaking as I was hoping it would be, especially because the set-up to the final battle was lengthy. But overall I was pleased with how the story was wrapped up and where the characters ended up - those that survived anyway. I'm sad to see The Grisha Trilogy come to an end, but the ending felt right for the story and for the characters, and I'm sure before we know it we'll have the new Grisha spin-off series from Leigh Bardugo in our greedy little hands.

Previously, my reviews of Shadow and Bone and Siege and Storm.

Other Reviews:
Alice Marvels
Courtney Reads A Lot
The Daily Prophecy

Author Links:
Website
Blog
Twitter
Facebook
Goodreads

26 comments :

  1. You know, that's a really good point. In epic fantasies the hero is usually forced to face some climactic plot point alone, and that isn't quite as much the case here. Very interesting!
    I agree there were issues here and there with the story, but overall is was pretty satisfying to me as well. It's nice we don't have to say goodbye to this world, but I'm still sad we have to say goodbye to those characters.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, that's something that really stood out to me with this one compared to other hero's journeys. And I loved that about this book. It's good to hear that you also enjoyed this one overall!

      Delete
  2. I definitely need to start the Grisha trilogy, I have heard basically nothing but praise for this series. I am pleased to hear you enjoyed it so much, although sad for you that you have finally finished the series. However, you can always enjoy a re-read someday and experience it all over again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah you definitely need to! I will forever be recommending this series because it's so strong from beginning to end.

      Delete
  3. Glad this series ended on a good note, Aylee. I had several this year that just went wrong and/or fell flat for me which is so disappointing. I still need to pick this one but I can do so without any hesitation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, that's always the worst when it comes to finales, isn't it? I hope this one goes better for you!

      Delete
  4. I don't read this series but it seems most people were satisfied with the ending. I'm so afraid of starting anything any more after several disappointing conclusions.

    Karen @ For What It's Worth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah... that's slowly becoming my attitude as well. For the most part I just can't wait to start reading a series so that doesn't happen, but sometimes I wish I showed more restraint initially.

      Delete
  5. I was really happy with the ending to this series which does not happen very often. Usually I get to the end of a trilogy and feel cheated. This ending actually made me smile.
    I don't know how I feel about a spin-off. I used to love the idea of a spin-off (Bloodlines turned out really good), but sometimes I think it's time to just let it go (Heroes of Olympus). Only time will tell which type this one will be.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, it felt good to have such a happy ending!! More often than I would like, I feel cheated as well :(
      I see where you're coming from with spin-offs. I guess I'll wait to see how the new series is received... but I'm hopeful it will be just as great!

      Delete
  6. I just finished this one a few days ago, Aylee, and while I liked it, I was disappointed by the ending (I might be in the minority on that though). Lol, I think I'm still trying to wrap my head around exactly how I feel about this one so that I can write a review. I am looking forward to the spin-off series though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was a bit disappointed as well with the ending, but overall I liked it! I've certainly read much worse endings.

      Delete
  7. I'm glad you enjoyed this series, Aylee. It really is sad to say goodbye to a series you've come to love but isn't it good to know that at least they're in a better place now? :) I only read the first one in the series but I am excited to read the rest soon. Lovely review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, I guess it is nice to think of the characters (or some of them at least...) as being in a better place! Great way to put it.

      Delete
  8. Sounds like a good wrap up. I have been wanting to start this series but haven't found time yet

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh well then I must recommend it again and hopefully you will find time someday!

      Delete
  9. So glad Leigh Bardugo is going to be spending more time in the same universe - I need more!

    I agree about the ending. I expected a bit more, but was ultimately happy with how it turned out.

    Great review, Aylee!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, me too!! I was sure excited when I read that :)

      Yup, pretty much. And I'm not always pleased with how endings turned out so I can't complain that much!

      Delete
  10. This series has been on my too read list for too long!! Great review :) it sounds like a good end to an exciting series :)

    Chanzie @ Mean Who You Are.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was! This is one that I will be forever recommending :)

      Delete
  11. This sounds like a really satisfying wrap-up to this series, which makes me happy. It means that when I FINALLY start reading the series, I don't have to worry about the ending being any sort of a letdown! I just know I'll love the books so honestly I couldn't tell you what the holdup is. Thanks for the lovely spoiler-free review Aylee! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yayy I just KNOW you will love this trilogy ^^ And hey, I couldn't tell you what the hold-up is for a lot of books... just so little time and too many other books I guess!

      Delete
  12. I still haven't read this. But I think I might soon. I love this series, and I have such a hard time letting go. I am happy to see that you enjoyed this one, and I am ever more pleased to see that Leigh is not letting go of the Grisha world just yet.

    ReplyDelete
  13. You are my sole motivation to carve out time to at least finish #2. Then I'll go in search for deals on #3. Great review, I'm slightly concerned #2 ends on a bit of a cliff hanger. Glad to know you enjoyed how the series was wrapped up.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow! I have the first book in this series and it's sitting there looking all pretty on my selg. I've heard great things about the books and I'm looking forward to reading them, which is why I did nto read your review as I want it all to be a surprise. Nonetheless, great review, Aylee!

    Sarika @ The Readdicts

    ReplyDelete