Home       About Me       Review Archive

Tuesday, September 9, 2014

Waiting On Wednesday: Macmillan Fall 2014 Catalog

Waiting On Wednesday is a weekly meme hosted by Jill of Breaking The Spine in which upcoming, eagerly anticipated releases are highlighted on the blog.

This week, I've chosen to feature a few picks from the Macmillan Fall 2014 Catalog:

The Vault of Dreamers by Caragh M. O'Brien
Date: September 16, 2014
Add to Goodreads

The Forge School is the most prestigious arts school in the country. The secret to its success:  every moment of the students' lives is televised as part of the insanely popular Forge Show, and the students' schedule includes twelve hours of induced sleep meant to enhance creativity. But when first year student Rosie Sinclair skips her sleeping pill, she discovers there is something off about Forge. In fact, she suspects that there are sinister things going on deep below the reaches of the cameras in the school. What's worse is, she starts to notice that the edges of her consciousness do not feel quite right. And soon, she unearths the ghastly secret that the Forge School is hiding—and what it truly means to dream there.

While it is true that I am a bit over dystopians at this point, I still can't help but feel drawn to premises such as the one in The Vault of Dreamers. I feel like I just need to know this ghastly secret that the school is hiding! And I've heard great things about Caragh M. O'Brien's Birthmarked, so I'm definitely curious about this new book of hers!


Bitter Greens by Kate Forsyth
Date: September 23, 2014
Add to Goodreads

French novelist Charlotte-Rose de la Force has been banished from the court of Versailles by the Sun King, Louis XIV, after a series of scandalous love affairs. At the convent, she is comforted by an old nun, Sœur Seraphina, who tells her the tale of a young girl who, a hundred years earlier, is sold by her parents for a handful of bitter greens...
After Margherita’s father steals parsley from the walled garden of the courtesan Selena Leonelli, he is threatened with having both hands cut off, unless he and his wife relinquish their precious little girl. Selena is the famous red-haired muse of the artist Tiziano, first painted by him in 1512 and still inspiring him at the time of his death. She is at the center of Renaissance life in Venice, a world of beauty and danger, seduction and betrayal, love and superstition.
Locked away in a tower, Margherita sings in the hope that someone will hear her. One day, a young man does.

Wooo Rapunzel retelling!! Of course I loved such retellings as Cress and Tangled so I feel like I have to read this! Bitter Greens sounds amazing and I love how real history is worked into the story. It's already received a lot of buzz from readers as it was originally released a couple of years ago in Australia, so that's pretty exciting!


Lailah by Nikki Kelly
Date: October 7, 2014
Add to Goodreads

The girl knows she’s different. She doesn’t age. She has no family. She has visions of a past life, but no clear clues as to what she is, or where she comes from. But there is a face in her dreams – a light that breaks through the darkness. She knows his name is Gabriel.
On her way home from work, the girl encounters an injured stranger whose name is Jonah. Soon, she will understand that Jonah belongs to a generation of Vampires that serve even darker forces. Jonah and the few like him, are fighting with help from an unlikely ally – a rogue Angel, named Gabriel.
In the crossfire between good and evil, love and hate, and life and death, the girl learns her name: Lailah. But when the lines between black and white begin to blur, where in the spectrum will she find her place? And with whom?
Gabriel and Jonah both want to protect her. But Lailah will have to fight her own battle to find out who she truly is.

Okay so, there's definitely a love triangle at play here - which could be disastrous - and it sounds pretty romance-heavy - which is not my kind of thing - and there are vampires and angels - which I'm kind of over at this point -, BUT! Well, Lailah has been getting some pretty smashing early reviews and I have been wrong about romance-heavy paranormals before (Daughter of Smoke and Bone, I'm looking at you), so I'm definitely curious about this one. I'll wait for more reviews to come out though before making the decision to read it.


The Accidental Highwayman: Being the Tale of Kit Bristol, His Horse Midnight, a Mysterious Princess, and Sundry Magical Persons Besides by Ben Tripp
Date: October 14, 2014
Add to Goodreads

In eighteenth-century England, young Christopher “Kit” Bristol is the unwitting servant of notorious highwayman Whistling Jack. One dark night, Kit finds his master bleeding from a mortal wound, dons the man’s riding cloak to seek help, and changes the course of his life forever. Mistaken for Whistling Jack and on the run from redcoats, Kit is catapulted into a world of magic and wonders he thought the stuff of fairy tales.
Bound by magical law, Kit takes up his master’s quest to rescue a rebellious fairy princess from an arranged marriage to King George III of England. But his task is not an easy one, for Kit must contend with the feisty Princess Morgana, goblin attacks, and a magical map that portends his destiny: as a hanged man upon the gallows….

OMG how can you not love that title and accompanying beautiful typography-laden cover?! The Accidental Highwayman sounds like it will follow in the vein of the classical fairy-tale fantasies that we all know and love, so of course I'm ALL over it.


How about you? Are you waiting on any of these Macmillan Fall 2014 reads? Are there any upcoming books from the Macmillan Fall 2014 Catalog that I didn't include here that you feel I should add to my list?

30 comments :

  1. All these sound fabulous. Especially Bitter Greens. That's what I'm going to be featuring in my WoW.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I might be most excited for that one as well!

      Delete
  2. Lailah and The Vault of Dreamers are both high on my wishlist! I'll have to check out the others.

    Nice WoWs! Sharon – Obsession with Books

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Vault of Dreamers has definitely piqued my interest! I'll definitely adding it to my wishlist! :) Thanx for sharing! :)

    My WoW

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Vault of Dreamers was my WOW last week. I really enjoyed her Birthmarked series so I can't wait to see what else she can do. Bitter Greens sounds like it could be really good so I'll be adding that one to my list. Great picks :)
    Here's my WOW if you want to check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are all great picks. I'd love to read them as well. Thanks for sharing :)

    Happy Hump Day!

    Shane @ItchingforBooks

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have seen Bitter Greens before on Goodreads with the other edition and I seriously need to read it. The vault of dreamers sounds pretty good. I'm very curious about Lailah, the book has many positive reviews.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOVE the cover of the Aussie edition of Bitter Greens! I wish they had kept it actually.

      Delete
  7. None of these really struck me in particular, though The Vault of Dreamers has a brilliantly intriguing synopsis- I don't know that I'm drawn to the story, but I feel the same kind of need/wish to know what the secret is as you!- but then I read your comments on The Accidental Highwayman and read the full title, which I hadn't before, and it sold me! I love the design of the cover, but that title! It's totally reminiscent of The Princess Bride, and that's more than enough for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I definitely think of The Princes Bride when I read the synopsis and title and style for The Accidental Highwayman. It definitely has that classic fantasy style to it that I just always really love.

      Delete
  8. These are really great picks. I hope you get to read them soon.

    Jenea @ Books Live Forever's WoW

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, as usual you have very interesting picks this week :D I wanted to get my hands on Vault of Dreamers at BEA this year but I missed out. Like you, I'm a little bit over dystopians lately but that one sounds really fresh and compelling! Bitter Greens sounds cool - although the synopsis was a bit confusing for me o.O I'm definitely all about retellings so thanks for putting that one on my radar! Lailah is one I've been seeing around for ages but this is the first time I've actually read the blurb haha It sounds compelling enough, despite the triangular leanings...I hope it delivers more plot and less romance :) And yeah: The Accidental Highwayman! 18th century London! Magic! Fairy Princess! I am so in :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heh, I hadn't super thoroughly read the synopsis for Bitter Greens yet until you just said that, and I think I know what you mean. From what I do understand, it sounds really quite original and cool ^^ I'm crossing my fingers for Lailah!

      Delete
  10. I literally CANNOT wait to read 'Lailah' and 'The Vault of Dreamers', but especially the former since everyone seems to love it so much!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lailah sounds like it could be hit or miss but I'd be willing to give it a shot! And I've heard about Bitter Greens ever since BEA happened and I WANT IT!

    ReplyDelete
  12. These look so good! I can't believe how cool the covers are.
    Thanks for highlighting these.

    http://daydreamern.blogspot.com/2014/09/the-impossible-hope.html

    ReplyDelete
  13. I can't wait for Bitter Greens and Vault of Dreamers, Lailah is a new to me book but looks right up my alley so now I can't wait for that one!
    Here is my WoW!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I hadn't heard of Bitter Greens and The Accidental Highwayman until now but both of those sound like books I'd be interested in so I'm adding them to my wishlist. Lailah sounds pretty interesting but I'll wait for more reviews of it to figure out whether I should give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh, love that cover for The Accidental Highwayman. It does sound really interesting too. I think I'll have to check it out. Thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it fab? :D It's one of my favourite kinds of covers.

      Delete
  16. Vault of Dreamers reviews cropping up are coming out with just "meh" for this book. I've been awarded and E-Arc for Lailah, so I'll be sure and let you know if its good. As for the other too, I like fairy tale re-tellings, definitely worth watching out for them. If I see the are getting positive reviews, I'll have to check them out. I'm finding I'm a pretty big fan of Macmillian.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I've read a few "meh" ones and it's too bad :( I still want to check out her Birthmarked series though. Ooh, that's awesome that you have Lailah - VERY curious to hear what you think because I feel like we often have a similar taste in books. I'm finding I'm a pretty big fan of Macmillan too :D

      Delete
  17. Save for the Lailah book, I'm SO ON BOARD with the other three! Vault of Dreamers sounds wickedly creeptastic, Bitter Greens like it has every pottential to be awesome and the last one of the very long name like it should be so much fun!!
    OHHHH!!
    I need to add these to my TBR PILE

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wickedly creeptastic is a great descriptor :) I have high hopes for all of these too so I hope I don't end up getting let down!

      Delete
  18. OMG - that Winter catalogue was filled with awesome! I had to force myself to limit my requests lol

    Karen @ For What It's Worth

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'm enjoying Vault of Dreamers and looking forward to Lailah and Bitter Greens. Awesome choices Aylee!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I should be over dystopians but I can’t help it!! And I agree - Vault of Dreamers does found really interesting. Oooh repunzel retelling!! I love these posts of yours. I always look forward to them. You find the most interesting books.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Bitter Greens looked good to me too! I ended up not requesting it because I'd requested too many other things, but I hope to get to it eventually anyway :)

    ReplyDelete